My Photo
Name:
Location: San Fernando Valley, California, United States

Sunday, April 23, 2006

Call me Super Sandwich

Evan was lying in wait for me this morning as soon as I got out of bed. His eyes were red and crusted, and he'd had an earache during the night. I've never seen a clearer case of conjunctivitis, so I took him to the Extended Care Clinic where he got prescriptions for eyedrops and an antibiotic for an ear infection.

We need to get him cleared up soon, since he's got his driving exam coming up sometime in the next couple of weeks. This is not a routine new driver exam. He took his first driving test almost two years ago, and we made two serious mistakes. First, we scheduled it too early in the morning, and Evan is not an early person. He drove so badly that when the driving examiner brought him back and started chewing me out, I made the second mistake and told her he'd had a brain tumor. So she referred him to Driver's Safety. After more than a year of hearings and doctor visits, Evan got two special learner's permits last November. One allows him to drive with a certified driving instructor, and the other allows him to drive with me only. After months of intense - and costly - instruction, he's ready to take the test. Unfortunately, it will be the exam given to experienced drivers with medical problems rather than the one for new drivers.

FLASH:
I just got a call from Daddy. Mother is bleeding (her old trouble and possibly associated with her internal cramping), and they're trying to get hold of a doctor. It looks like I'll be going to Lancaster about as soon as I can throw some stuff in a suitcase. I had been thinking about going there tomorrow anyway, so I suppose it's not that much bigger a hassle to spend a night.

Update:
I was almost ready to leave when Mother called. She had talked to the doctor on call who advised her to get a blood test tomorrow (for her clotting factor or INR), but she's been having blood tests every Monday for awhile to try to get her Coumadin dosage settled, so that's nothing out-of-the-way. Otherwise, she should contact her regular doctor at that time, and if her condition worsens, she should go to the emergency room. She has taken Vicodin and is feeling somewhat better, so she doesn't want me to come up this evening unless she has to go to the emergency room. I expect I'll go tomorrow even if I'm not needed tonight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home