My Photo
Name:
Location: San Fernando Valley, California, United States

Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Another prize in the MMFROG

MMORPG: Massively Multiplayer Online Role Playing Game (such as Everquest or Worlds of Warcraft)

MMFROG: Massively Multiplayer Family Research Online Game

I found g-g-grandfather Samuel Isaacs for certain in the 1870 US Census. He was living in Cinncinnati with his sister-in-law Maria Myers Tobias' family. I found him when I did a search for Maria's Daughter Josephine Tobias Lederer in the hopes of finding Maria's husband, who had died by the 1880 Census. [I wanted to post the image, and I may eventually figure out how to convince my new computer (which forces me to use Internet Explorer instead of the Firefox I prefer) to do it. I've had numerous difficulties with this Toshiba-Vista combo, and I may try going back to my old Toshiba with XP for my genealogical work. I chiefly need a faster computer for graphics manipulation.]

1870 US Census
Name Home in 1870 Est. Birth Year Birthplace Race Sex
Henry Tobias Cincinnati Ward 6, Hamilton, OH abt 1820 Prussia White Male
Maria Tobias Cincinnati Ward 6, Hamilton, OH abt 1828 England White Female
Sarah Tobias Cincinnati Ward 6, Hamilton, OH abt 1853 New York White Female
Charles Tobias Cincinnati Ward 6, Hamilton, OH abt 1854 Pennsylvania White Male
Pauline Tobias Cincinnati Ward 6, Hamilton, OH abt 1857 Ohio White Female
Morris Tobias Cincinnati Ward 6, Hamilton, OH abt 1859 Ohio White Male
Josephine Tobias Cincinnati Ward 6, Hamilton, OH abt 1863 Ohio White Female
Ida Tobias Cincinnati Ward 6, Hamilton, OH abt 1866 Ohio White Female
Samuel Isaacs Cincinnati Ward 6, Hamilton, OH abt 1838 England White Male

At any rate, his presence in Cincinnati before the rest of the family arrived in New York tells me that the family probably traveled immediately to Ohio and took up residence there in 1870. Martha Myers Isaacs and the children didn't arrive in the United States until July 1870, the month after the 1870 Census was taken, and they left England nearly a year before the 1871 UK Census, so they will not appear in any census for that decade.

Further, Sam's appearance in the June census strengthens the case for an April arrival aboard the Inman Line's ship City of Brooklyn. One thing that doesn't match is occupation. The Samuel Isaacks aboard the ship was listed as a miner, while the Samuel Isaacs in Ohio gave his occupation as "Rag Dealer" with a personal property value of $300. This difference may not mean much, since Samuel's line in the 1880 Census was "Peddler." According to the Trinidad [Colorado] City Directory he had gone into real estate in 1888, and by 1891 had become a hotel proprietor. The age difference doesn't mean much either. Even verified sources don't agree on Samuel's date of birth, so I figure a birth year of 1835 +/-5 years is close enough.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home